Search all the listings in this section
Browse by Category:|
|Eid: Etiquette and Rulings
Eid is approaching. So, could you please clarify the etiquette and rulings of Eid?
Praise be to Allah.
Eid, in Islam, is a day of joy, thanksgiving, worship, brotherhood, solidarity, and morality. A Muslim should take the advantage of this day to bring himself nearer to Allah, Most High.
As regards your question, we'd like to cite the following comprehensive fatwa issued by Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Islamic lecturer and author:
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Every nation has its festival, and this is your festival.” Here, he referred to the fact that these two Eids are exclusively for the Muslims.
The Muslims have no festivals apart from Eidul-Fitr and Eidul-Adha. Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) came to Al-Madinah, the people of Madinah used to have two festivals. On those two days they had carnivals and festivity. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) asked the Ansar (the Muslims of Madinah) about it. They replied that before Islam they used to have carnivals on those two joyous days. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) told them: "Instead of those two days, Allah has appointed two other days which are better, the days of Eidul-Fitr and Eidul-Adha." (Reported by Abu Dawud)
These two Eids are among the signs of Allah, to which we must show consideration and understand their objectives. Below, we will elaborate the rulings and etiquette of Eid.
Rulings of Eid
1. Fasting: It is haram to fast on the days of Eid because of the hadith of Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) in which he said that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) forbade fasting on the day of Fitr and the day of Adha. (Reported by Muslim)
2. Offering Eid Prayers: Some of the scholars say that Eid Prayers are Wajib (obligatory) – this is the view of the Hanafi scholars and of Sheikh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah. Some scholars say that Eid Prayer is Fard Kifayah (a communal duty, binding on the Muslims as a group, and it is fulfilled if a sufficient number of people perform it, thereby absolving the rest of sin). This is the view of the Hanbalis. A third group say that Eid Prayer is Sunnah Mu'akkadah. This is the view of the Malikis and Shafi`is.
3. Offering Supererogatory Prayers: There are no Supererogatory Prayers to be offered either before or after the Eid Prayer, as Ibn `Abbas reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to come out on the day of Eid and pray two Rak`ahs, with nothing before or after them. This is the case if the Prayer is offered in an open area. If, however, the people pray the Eid Prayer in a mosque, then they should pray two Rak`ahs for Tahiyat Al-Masjid.
4. Women attending the Eid Prayers: According to the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) everyone is urged to attend Eid Prayer, and to co-operate with one another in righteousness and piety. The menstruating woman should not forsake the remembrance of Allah or places of goodness such as gatherings for the purpose of seeking knowledge and remembering Allah – apart from mosques. Women, undoubtedly, should not go out without the Hijab.
Etiquette of Eid
1. Ghusl (taking a bath): One of the good manners of Eid is to take bath before going out to the Prayer. It was reported that Sa`id ibn Jubayr said: “Three things are Sunnah on Eid: to walk (to the prayer-place), to take a bath, and to eat before coming out (if it's Eidul-Fitr).”
2. Eating before coming out: One should not come out to the prayer-place on Eidul-Fitr before eating some dates, because of the hadith narrated by Al-Bukhari from Anas ibn Malik who said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) would not go out in the morning of Eidul-Fitr until he had eaten some dates… and he would eat an odd number.” On Eidul-Adha, on the other hand, it is Mustahab (recommended) not to eat until after the Prayer, when one should eat from the meat of one’s sacrifice.
3. Takbir on the day of Eid: This is one of the greatest Sunnahs of this day. Al-Daraqutni and others reported that when Ibn `Umar came out on Eidul-Fitr and Eidul-Adha, he would strive hard in making Takbir until he reached the prayer-place, then he would continue making Takbir until the Imam came.
4. Congratulating one another: People may exchange congratulations and good greetings on Eid, no matter what form the words take. For example they may say to one another, “Taqabbal Allahu minnaa wa minkum (may Allah accept from us and from you our good deeds!)". Jubayr ibn Nufayr said: “At the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when people met one another on the day of Eid, they would say, ‘Taqabbal Allahu minnaa wa minka.’” (Reported by Ibn Hajar)
5. Wearing one's best clothes for Eid: Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had a Jubbah (cloak) that he would wear on Eid and on Fridays.” Al-Bayhaqi reported that Ibn `Umar used to wear his best clothes on Eid, so men should wear the best clothes they have when they go out for Eid.
6. Changing route on returning from Prayer-place: Jabir ibn `Abdullah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to change his routes on the day of Eid. (Reported by Al-Bukhari)
Allah Almighty knows best.
Question Date: 2011-11-03
* The views posted are the opinions of the individual author of each posting, and are solely meant for education, discussion, and debate, not for any illegal purpose. The authors are not responsible or liable for the intentional, reckless, or negligent actions of any individual, and we assumes no responsibility for the content of the authors. Thus, the articles and materials posted do not represent, endorse or express the views of Muslims of Calgary or any of its affiliate organizations.
* A Spacious House and Happiness (2012-01-07)* Adoption & Last Name (2010-05-04)* Animals and Prayers (2011-06-19)* Any Rewards in this World (2013-01-03)* Ayahs of Quran & Names of Allaah in the Newspaper (2011-11-22)* Between Lotto and Shares (2012-12-06)* Bowing the Head in Karate Class (2012-05-20)* Boys Circumcision is Act of Fitrah (2012-03-20)* Buying & Selling Shares / Mutual Funds (2012-03-22)* Cannot Find a Job, Forgiveness and Dua'a (2012-08-08)* Caring for My Relatives and Family Friends (2012-01-24)* Cat Spaying (2010-02-08)* Cats as Pets (2011-05-30)* Changing Name After Becoming a Muslim (2010-02-02)* Cleanliness and Washing Private Parts (Istinja) in Public Places (2012-05-03)* Commemorating the Deceased (2012-08-17)* Committed Adultery and Lost Virginity (2012-10-06)* Committing Suicide to Escape a Stalker Threat (2012-10-04)* Companionship at School (2010-10-08)* Confession of Past Sins to Spouse (2012-05-20)* Constant Whispers That I Divorced My Wife (2012-06-16)* Cow for Akikah / Aqeeqah (2010-11-01)* Cow for ‘Aqeeqah (2012-09-22)* Credt Cards Cash Back Awards (2012-08-22)* Cutting Nail and Hair While Planning to Sacrifice Udhiyah (2012-10-23)* Date of Death in Dream (2011-03-28)* Dealer Covering Interest of Financed Purchased Car (2012-04-13)* Deeply Concerned About a Friend, Help Please (2012-11-09)* Depression and Many Calamities (2011-07-28)* Description of Wiping Over the Head in Wudoo’ (2011-04-10)* Did the Dinosaurs and Huge Animals Exist? (2012-10-31)* Differences Among the Scholars (2010-08-12)* Donating Bone Marrow (2011-07-21)* Donating Received Interest (2012-11-13)* Dreaming of a Cow or Dog Running After Me (2012-02-16)* Dua'a & Prayers of the Sick (2010-08-30)* Dua'a to Stop Pain & Sickness (2012-08-07)* Dua`a (Supplications) for All Circumstances (2011-06-17)* Dua’a for Well-Being or Protection (2013-01-03)* Exam Tips for Students (2011-11-13)* Fasting in a Dream (2012-08-29)* Fear of Darkness & Concentration Issue (2012-01-02)* Fed Up of Life (2012-01-27)* Feeling Depressed & Unwanted (2010-08-19)* Female Participation in Sports (2012-11-28)* Flying on Airlines that Serve Alcohol (2012-08-14)* Friendship Between Youth Boys & Girls (2011-08-31)* Gelatin in Medication (2011-06-13)* Giving Money to a Sick Relative Without Our Parents Knowledge (2011-09-09)* Gold / Diamond Ring for Men (2010-12-27)* Guide Dogs (2012-07-26)* Hanging Pictures on Wall (2010-08-21)* Hopelessness and Depression (2010-10-19)* House Financing through Ansar Housing (2012-09-12)* House Mortgage (2010-04-11)* How to be Successful in Life? (2011-05-03)* Hymen Repair Surgery (2012-10-16)* Ijara Loan (www.ijaracanada.com) (2012-11-22)* Immunity and Protection Against Black Magic (2013-04-18)* Interpretation of Visions and Dreams (2010-03-01)* Investing in Mutual Funds (2011-07-02)* Is al-Masjid al-Aqsa Considered to be a Sanctuary? (2011-06-25)* Is Feet Considered Awrah? (2010-12-07)* Is Sacrifice / Qurbani Obligatory? (2012-10-20)* Islamic Healing (2011-03-09)* Istikhaarah / Istikhara (2010-04-29)* Joining Canadian Army (2010-11-06)* Joula Practice of Tableeghi Jama’at (2012-04-29)* Kalima Reciting (2011-07-04)* Khatam & Gathering for the Deceased (2012-09-10)* Life Support - Resuscitation Equipment (2010-05-23)* Major Sins and Judging Others (2012-02-01)* Making Donation via Credit Cards (2012-11-02)* Man Living Alone (2012-01-07)* Marrying Daughters or Performing Hajj (2011-09-10)* Muhammed (PBUH) Gift to His Daughter When She Got Married (2011-03-30)* My Work and the Mix of Ice Cream with Gelatin (2012-07-30)* Naming a Baby Boy Siyam (2011-09-13)* Naming a Child (2010-02-04)* Our Attitude Towards Yazeed ibn Mu’aawiyah (2011-05-25)* Perfume with Alcohol (2011-01-21)* Photography (2010-10-10)* Possessed Jinni Speaks on Her Lips (2011-05-03)* Prayers for the Sick (2010-07-16)* Prize of Raffle Draw (2010-06-14)* Protect Oneself Against the Evil Eye (2012-01-30)* Refund of Life Insurance Policy & Bonus (2011-10-25)* Rent-to-Own House (2012-07-15)* Ruling on Buying & Keeping Stuffed Animals (2011-03-08)* Ruling on Celebrating Valentine’s Day (2011-02-13)* Ruling on Facial Piercings (2012-12-13)* Ruling on Jury Duty (2011-11-07)* Ruling on Keeping Pets (2013-03-18)* Ruling on Khulwah (being alone with a member of the opposite sex) (2010-10-27)* Ruling on Piercing Women’s Ears (2011-04-09)* Ruling on Using Kohl, Henna and Cosmetics While Fasting (2011-08-05)* Ruling on Wine Vinegar (2012-07-12)* Rulings on Kafaarat Yameen (2011-04-08)* Satan & Sin While Repenting (2011-12-21)* Seeing Names of Allah & Muhammad (2011-05-03)* Serving Pork Products (2011-03-02)* Shaving Beard for Job Requirement (2012-12-03)* Shaving Head of a Newborn Girl (2013-01-02)* Smoking & Marijuana (2011-11-07)* Smoking & Patches During Ramadan (2010-08-12)* Source of Income (2010-10-29)* Student Loan (2010-02-20)* Suffering From Laughing Too Much (2011-06-17)* Suing Insurance Company (2010-10-19)* Surgery to Lift Breasts After Losing Weight (2011-08-16)* Swearing by Allah's Name (2012-03-12)* Swearing by the Quran, Kafaarat Yameen (2011-08-30)* Taking Car Loan on Fixed Interest Rate (2011-04-13)* Teaching Children About Removing Body Hair (2011-11-28)* Teenage Emotions (2011-11-07)* The Minimum Length of Time for I’tikaaf (2011-08-15)* The Ninth and Tenth of Muharram (2011-12-05)* The Proper Way of Celebrating the New Hijri Year (2012-11-14)* There is a Jinni in My House? (2010-08-18)* Thoughts and Imaginations in the Hereafter (2012-05-21)* Two Adopted Children Living Together (2011-06-11)* Vacationing in a Beach Resort & Cruise Trips (2012-04-16)* Video / Electronic Games (2010-07-27)* Visiting Graves of Rightous People - Karamat and Shirk (2012-10-15)* Want to Payback Debt But She is Dead (2012-08-28)* Waswaas About Tahaarah (State of Purity) (2011-12-28)* Wearing Hijab When Traveling (2012-10-04)* What Constitutes Intercourse? (2011-05-22)* When to Pray if Menstruation Period Last Long (2012-03-27)* Why Muslim Men Can! (2011-07-13)* Widow Observing ‘Iddah Traveling to Another Country (2011-04-23)* Will Distribution After the Death of Husband & First Wife (2012-04-30)* Women Swimming (2010-07-05)* Working for Telus, Shaw, etc Telecom Co. (2011-04-08)* Working Where They Deal With Liquor (2012-03-27)* Worldly Education at Religious Education (2010-10-27)* Wudu and Nail Polish (2012-09-12)* Zina Before Marriage (2011-08-19)