Search all the listings in this section
Browse by Category:|
|Raising the Hands for Dua'a
Is it permissible to raise your hands for Dua'a? Are there any authentic hadiths of this or doing this is considered bid'ah?
Praise be to Allaah.
Raising the hands when saying du’aa’ in general is the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and many ahaadeeth were narrated concerning that. Al-Suyooti said in Tadreeb al-Raawi (2/180):
Approximately one hundred ahaadeeth were narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in which he raised his hands when saying du’aa’, and I have compiled them in a book, but they are in different cases, none of which is mentioned in mutawaatir reports. The thing that they all have in common – which is raising the hands when saying du’aa’ – is regarded as mutawaatir when they are all taken into account. End quote.
With regard to whether it is proven to raise the hands therein, du’aa’s may be divided into three types:
1. Du’aa’s in which it is proven in the saheeh Sunnah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) raised his hands, such as istisqa’ (prayer for rain), at the time of an eclipse, when standing in ‘Arafah, and so on. It is mustahabb to raise the hands in these cases, according to scholarly consensus.
2. Du’aa’s in which it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not raise his hands, such as the du’aa’ of the khateeb on Friday. In this case neither the imam nor the members of the congregation should raise their hands.
3. Du’aas in which there are no reports stating whether the hands should be raised or not. These are subject to further discussion:
- If they are cases in which the actions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) are proven in many ahaadeeth, but there is no mention of raising the hands in any of them, then this indicates that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not raise his hands in these cases, such as du’aa’ during salaah (prayer), whilst prostrating, and after the final tashahhud.
- But in cases where there are not many ahaadeeth which describe the actions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then we cannot be certain of what the Prophets (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did in those cases, but we say that it is mustahabb to raise the hands in these cases, based on the general meaning of the ahaadeeth which say that it is mustahabb to raise the hands, and by analogy with the hundreds of ahaadeeth which say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) raised his hands in many cases, such as raising the hands when saying the du’aa’s for morning and evening, and so on.
- If a person has proof that these adhkaar were among the adhkaar of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he also has proof or thinks it most likely that he did not raise his hands whilst reciting them, and he does not raise his hands, then there is nothing wrong with him not doing so, in sha Allaah, but proving either is somewhat difficult.
To sum up, there is nothing wrong with raising the hands when reciting the du’aa’s of morning and evening.
And Allaah knows best.
Question Date: 2011-10-07
* The views posted are the opinions of the individual author of each posting, and are solely meant for education, discussion, and debate, not for any illegal purpose. The authors are not responsible or liable for the intentional, reckless, or negligent actions of any individual, and we assumes no responsibility for the content of the authors. Thus, the articles and materials posted do not represent, endorse or express the views of Muslims of Calgary or any of its affiliate organizations.
* Adhaan & Iqaamah if Praying at Home in Congregation (2011-02-25)* Adkhaar & Dua'a After Prayer (2010-10-06)* Angels Bowing to Adam (2010-08-02)* Asr Prayer Timing (2010-07-28)* Cannot Maintain My Wudhu Due to Medication (2011-08-19)* Combine Evening Prayers Due to Late Isha (2010-06-11)* Combining Prayers Because of Snow (2010-11-21)* Concentration in Prayers (2010-02-11)* Conditions of Wiping Over Socks (2013-03-21)* Description of the Prophet’s Prayer (2011-03-08)* Dhuhr and 'Asr Prayers together (2011-06-06)* Difference Between Tahajjud and Qiyaam Al-Layl? (2012-11-21)* Different Times of Fajr Prayer (2011-07-09)* Do We Have to Pray Jumu'ah (Friday) Prayer? (2012-06-20)* Does Continually Passing Wind Invalidate Wudoo? (2011-08-25)* Dua’a in the Final Tashahhud (2011-05-31)* Du’aa’ in the Final Tashahhud (2012-09-27)* Earliest Time to Friday (Jum'ah) Prayer (2012-03-23)* Eye Surgery & Wudoo (2010-07-27)* Fajr Time (2010-06-12)* Female Dress Code During Prayer (2012-09-14)* Following Imam in Traweeh Congregation to Pray Missed Isha (2011-08-10)* Gas and Wudu (2012-08-14)* Gas Invalidates Wudoo (2011-01-12)* Giving Up Prayer Because Committing Zina (2011-06-24)* How Does One Pray When Dealing With Health Issues? (2011-07-11)* How to Pray Witr (2011-12-08)* Husband Leading His Wife in Prayer (2011-02-02)* Hypocrisy in Prayer (2011-08-07)* Is Akram Jomaa Islamic Centre Considered a Masjid or Musallah? (2012-06-29)* Is work one of the excuses for which it is permissible to delay prayer beyond its time? (2010-01-06)* Is Wudoo’ Broken By Taking Off One's Socks? (2011-05-19)* Joining & Shortening Prayers (2010-07-26)* Loses Concentration while Praying (2011-11-07)* Maghrib and Isha Together (2010-06-11)* Making Du’aa’ in English (2010-04-12)* Missed Prayers for 20 Years (2011-11-07)* Missing Prayer When Outside Home (2011-12-07)* Must Wash Feet or Wipe Over Socks Sufficient (2012-06-09)* Parents Responses on How to Inspire our Children to Pray (2011-01-31)* Passing in Front of Someone Who is Praying (2011-03-10)* Performing Extra Prayers Between Obligatory Prayers (2011-09-17)* Performing Tayammum - Dry Ablution (2012-03-10)* Pillars and Sunnahs of Prayer (2012-01-31)* Prayed Toward Wrong Direction of Qiblah (2012-05-13)* Prayer After Sexual Intercourse (2012-11-04)* Prayer in Dirty Environment (2011-01-22)* Prayers & Non-Muslim Employer (2010-11-09)* Prayers and Exams (2010-10-29)* Prayers During Travel (2010-06-11)* Praying Fajr Before Its Time (2011-12-06)* Praying Istikhaarah in all one’s affairs (2010-03-06)* Praying Nafl (Voluntarily) Out Loud (Jahran) (2012-03-16)* Prevented From Performing Prayer in School (2011-12-25)* Quran Audio in Taraweeh (2010-08-23)* Raising the Hands in Salat (2011-08-10)* Reading From a Paper While Praying (2010-02-25)* Recite Surat After al-Faatihah in Prayer (2012-01-27)* Reciting al-Faatihah After the Imam (2012-10-25)* Reciting Few Verses that One Knows (2010-08-13)* Salatul Ishraq / Duha in the Sunnah (2011-12-08)* Sleeping After Fajr (2011-04-09)* Sujood al-Tilaawah (Recitation Prostrations) (2012-09-22)* Sunnah (Prophet's Example) in Performing Night Prayer (2011-05-22)* Sunnah Prayers Associated With Obligatory Prayers (2012-01-27)* The Change of Qiblah Direction (2012-11-22)* The Importance of Prayer (2011-09-20)* The Validity of Salat Ul-Tasaabeeh (2012-08-11)* Time for Duha or Ishraaq Prayer (2010-09-11)* Time of Zuhr Prayer (2010-08-14)* Times of the Five Daily Prayers (2011-01-07)* Tips to Concentrate in Salat / Prayer (2011-08-07)* Traveler (Safar) Prayer (2010-05-12)* Traveler Shortening of Prayers (2010-06-11)* Waiting Period to Pray After Birth (2011-09-15)* Wearing Leather (2010-04-02)* What is the Proof for Salaat al-Tasaabeeh? (2011-08-29)* When is it Permissible to Shorten (Qasr) Prayer? (2012-07-20)* Wiping Over Socks (2010-01-11)* Women Leading Prayers (2010-12-07)* Wudu & Baby Diaper (2010-02-25)