Search all the listings in this section
Browse by Category:|
|Tips to Concentrate in Salat / Prayer
I am having some trouble in concentrating in my prayer, sometimes my mind thinks about some wordly stuff so I try to think Allah is watching me but still my mind goes away! When I stand up for prayer, I hope for Jannah, fear hell fire, think that the angel of death is behind me, think Jannah is on my right and Hell on my left, and Allah and the Kaba in front of me when I pray. I know Allah is watching me but I get distracted often. So after all, can I know if Allah accepted my prayer?
Praise be to Allah.
In order to gain proper concentration in Salah, it is important to keep one’s mind free of all pre-occupations with worldly affairs. Since our minds tend to dwell on the things which we are currently absorbed with, it is important to break the hold of this world upon our minds by conditioning ourselves to think consistently of Allah and the Last Day. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “A true believer is one who has made all of his thoughts subservient to the bigger thought: Allah.”
Another important point to remember is that often because of our indulgence in major sins, we may be deprived of true joy in Salah - as a penalty for these sins. Such sins include displeasing one’s parents, fornication or adultery or indiscriminate mingling and mixing with members of the opposite sex, or unethical conduct and behavior in financial dealings, etc.
Therefore, as a prerequisite step towards improving our concentration in salah, we must examine our life and purge it of all the major sins according to the best of our ability. After having done so, we can follow these tips which have been gleaned from the discussions of the salaf al-salih (pious predecessors):
1. Before standing up for salah, try to deal with all the minor urgent matters which demand your attention. If you are oppressed by hunger, eat first; if you are pressed to attend to the call of nature, relieve yourself; if you are the parent of an infant, feed him or her, or keep him or her busy.
2. Perform your ablutions well, paying due care and attention.
3. Approach the salah with zest and passion as if it is the most important task in your life. Actually the Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us that we could do nothing in this world that could ever surpass salah in merit and excellence.
4. Visualize that in your salah you are going to have a special audience with Allah, Lord of the worlds, and that you are enjoying a direct communion with Him - which, in fact, is true.
5. Think of the salah you are performing as if it were the last salah of your life. In fact, it could very well be the last one, since no one is given a guarantee that he would live to perform another salah.
6. Picture the scene of the Last Day when people will be lined up into two groups, one destined for heaven, and another for hell, and ask yourself where you would be placed.
7. Focus your mind on what you are reading in your salah.
8. If, in spite of your best efforts, your mind is still wandering, seek refuge in Allah and bring your mind back to salah.
9. Pray to Allah and beg Him to grant you true the joy of concentrating in your salah and protection against the wanderings of your mind.
Allah Almighty knows best.
Sh. Ahmad Kutty
Question Date: 2011-08-07
* The views posted are the opinions of the individual author of each posting, and are solely meant for education, discussion, and debate, not for any illegal purpose. The authors are not responsible or liable for the intentional, reckless, or negligent actions of any individual, and we assumes no responsibility for the content of the authors. Thus, the articles and materials posted do not represent, endorse or express the views of Muslims of Calgary or any of its affiliate organizations.
* Adhaan & Iqaamah if Praying at Home in Congregation (2011-02-25)* Adkhaar & Dua'a After Prayer (2010-10-06)* Angels Bowing to Adam (2010-08-02)* Asr Prayer Timing (2010-07-28)* Cannot Maintain My Wudhu Due to Medication (2011-08-19)* Combine Evening Prayers Due to Late Isha (2010-06-11)* Combining Prayers Because of Snow (2010-11-21)* Concentration in Prayers (2010-02-11)* Conditions of Wiping Over Socks (2013-03-21)* Description of the Prophet’s Prayer (2011-03-08)* Dhuhr and 'Asr Prayers together (2011-06-06)* Difference Between Tahajjud and Qiyaam Al-Layl? (2012-11-21)* Different Times of Fajr Prayer (2011-07-09)* Do We Have to Pray Jumu'ah (Friday) Prayer? (2012-06-20)* Does Continually Passing Wind Invalidate Wudoo? (2011-08-25)* Dua’a in the Final Tashahhud (2011-05-31)* Du’aa’ in the Final Tashahhud (2012-09-27)* Earliest Time to Friday (Jum'ah) Prayer (2012-03-23)* Eye Surgery & Wudoo (2010-07-27)* Fajr Time (2010-06-12)* Female Dress Code During Prayer (2012-09-14)* Following Imam in Traweeh Congregation to Pray Missed Isha (2011-08-10)* Gas Invalidates Wudoo (2011-01-12)* Giving Up Prayer Because Committing Zina (2011-06-24)* How Does One Pray When Dealing With Health Issues? (2011-07-11)* How to Pray Witr (2011-12-08)* Husband Leading His Wife in Prayer (2011-02-02)* Hypocrisy in Prayer (2011-08-07)* Is Akram Jomaa Islamic Centre Considered a Masjid or Musallah? (2012-06-29)* Is work one of the excuses for which it is permissible to delay prayer beyond its time? (2010-01-06)* Is Wudoo’ Broken By Taking Off One's Socks? (2011-05-19)* Joining & Shortening Prayers (2010-07-26)* Loses Concentration while Praying (2011-11-07)* Maghrib and Isha Together (2010-06-11)* Making Du’aa’ in English (2010-04-12)* Missed Prayers for 20 Years (2011-11-07)* Missing Prayer When Outside Home (2011-12-07)* Must Wash Feet or Wipe Over Socks Sufficient (2012-06-09)* Parents Responses on How to Inspire our Children to Pray (2011-01-31)* Passing in Front of Someone Who is Praying (2011-03-10)* Performing Extra Prayers Between Obligatory Prayers (2011-09-17)* Performing Tayammum - Dry Ablution (2012-03-10)* Pillars and Sunnahs of Prayer (2012-01-31)* Prayed Toward Wrong Direction of Qiblah (2012-05-13)* Prayer After Sexual Intercourse (2012-11-04)* Prayer in Dirty Environment (2011-01-22)* Prayers & Non-Muslim Employer (2010-11-09)* Prayers and Exams (2010-10-29)* Prayers During Travel (2010-06-11)* Praying Fajr Before Its Time (2011-12-06)* Praying Istikhaarah in all one’s affairs (2010-03-06)* Praying Nafl (Voluntarily) Out Loud (Jahran) (2012-03-16)* Prevented From Performing Prayer in School (2011-12-25)* Quran Audio in Taraweeh (2010-08-23)* Raising the Hands for Dua'a (2011-10-07)* Raising the Hands in Salat (2011-08-10)* Reading From a Paper While Praying (2010-02-25)* Recite Surat After al-Faatihah in Prayer (2012-01-27)* Reciting al-Faatihah After the Imam (2012-10-25)* Reciting Few Verses that One Knows (2010-08-13)* Salatul Ishraq / Duha in the Sunnah (2011-12-08)* Sleeping After Fajr (2011-04-09)* Sujood al-Tilaawah (Recitation Prostrations) (2012-09-22)* Sunnah (Prophet's Example) in Performing Night Prayer (2011-05-22)* Sunnah Prayers Associated With Obligatory Prayers (2012-01-27)* The Change of Qiblah Direction (2012-11-22)* The Importance of Prayer (2011-09-20)* The Validity of Salat Ul-Tasaabeeh (2012-08-11)* Time for Duha or Ishraaq Prayer (2010-09-11)* Time of Zuhr Prayer (2010-08-14)* Times of the Five Daily Prayers (2011-01-07)* Traveler (Safar) Prayer (2010-05-12)* Traveler Shortening of Prayers (2010-06-11)* Waiting Period to Pray After Birth (2011-09-15)* Wearing Leather (2010-04-02)* What is the Proof for Salaat al-Tasaabeeh? (2011-08-29)* When is it Permissible to Shorten (Qasr) Prayer? (2012-07-20)* Wiping Over Socks (2010-01-11)* Women Leading Prayers (2010-12-07)* Wudu & Baby Diaper (2010-02-25)