Search all the listings in this section
Browse by Category:|
|Will Allah Forgive the Sin of Adultery?
I have a serious situation. I have committed adultery, but am sorry for what I have done. I have since given birth to a beautiful baby, and am doing my best to put my past behind me. I ask Allah SWT to forgive me on a daily basis. I am trying to raise my family and children to be great Muslims. I pray to Allah SWT on a daily basis, and I fast and do what a good Muslim is supposed to do. However, I am afraid that Allah SWT will not forgive my sins. Does Allah SWT fogive adultery?
Praise be to Allaah.
Undoubtedly what you have done, committing zina (adultery), is a major sin. Hence the punishment for the unmarried person who commits zina is one hundred lashes, and the punishment for the married person whose marriage was consummated is stoning to death.
Although the sin that you have committed is so abhorrent to those who have a sound human nature and common sense, it does not mean that you cannot repent. Allaah rejoices over the repentance of sinners and accepts it from them.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful” [al-Zumar 39:53]
Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
This verse is a call to all sinners, kaafirs and others, to repent and turn to Allaah. It tells us that Allaah forgives all sins for the one who repents from them and gives them up, no matter what they are, and even if they are as many as the foam of the sea. End quote. Tafseer Ibn Katheer (7/106).
1) Do not despair, for Allaah the Most Exalted and Glorified said (interpretation of the meaning): "Say: Oh my servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the mercy of Allaah, for Allaah forgives all sins; for He is oft-forgiving, most merciful." [Surah 39,Verse 53]
2) Let your repentance be truly from your heart, and stay away from all sources of temptations. Also, perform many good deeds, as good deeds abrogate the bad ones.
3) If you repent to Allah, you are no longer described as a fornicator (zaani).
4) The believer has high hope and aspiration for the best from Allaah. He not only asks Allah for making his punishment easy in hellfire, but he also prays to God the Almighty to save him from Hell and award him with paradise for his repentance and good deeds.
We hope that your repentance is sincere, and includes regret for what you have done, and resolve not to commit the sin again after repenting.
And Allaah knows best.
Question Date: 2011-01-04
* The views posted are the opinions of the individual author of each posting, and are solely meant for education, discussion, and debate, not for any illegal purpose. The authors are not responsible or liable for the intentional, reckless, or negligent actions of any individual, and we assumes no responsibility for the content of the authors. Thus, the articles and materials posted do not represent, endorse or express the views of Muslims of Calgary or any of its affiliate organizations.
* A Spirit (Jinn) in My House (2010-09-24)* Affair Led to Pregnancy and Abortion (2012-10-09)* Age of Children to Fast Ramadan (2011-08-18)* Benefiting the Deceased by Acting on his/her Behalf (2010-09-16)* Burial in non-Muslim Graveyards (2010-05-24)* Can Jinn Harm Our Life? (2010-08-25)* Celebrating After 40 Days of Burial (2012-01-21)* Conditions for Accepting Good Deeds (2010-02-04)* Confronting the Infidels on the Day of Judgement (2012-08-12)* Cremation of Dead Bodies (2011-02-22)* Death of an Infant (2012-05-22)* Dreaming that My Father Laying on Bed With White Cover (2012-07-29)* Fate of Animals in the Day of Resurrection (2012-05-30)* Following Kaafir's Funeral (2010-10-07)* I Want to be a Devoted Slave of Allah (2010-01-04)* Jibreel (Gabriel) & the Revelation (2011-01-30)* Material Goods and Helping the Weak (2012-08-23)* Paying for Aqeeqah to be Slaughtered in a Different Country (2011-01-22)* Ruling on Committing Suicide (2012-08-10)* Sending Prayers & Dua'a to the Deceased (2012-06-09)* Sins and Punishment from Allaah (2011-08-03)* Staying in One Level of Hell or Heaven Forever (2012-08-12)* The Lesser & Greater Signs of the Day of Resurrection (2011-06-28)* Which angels take the soul of the Muslim, the angels of mercy or the angels of wrath? (2010-01-03)* Will I get bored in Paradise? (2010-01-15)